Saintfield High School

Email: info@saintfield.saintfield.ni.sch.uk
Telephone: 02897 510356

History

History

Our Past Times

Saintfield High School first opened in September 1958 with 158 pupils and 8 staff. At that time it was known as Saintfield Secondary Intermediate School and the first Headmaster was Mr Johnston Young.

In 1960 Mr Charles Hall became Principal and helped plan and open the sports field.  The school enrolment remained under 200 in the red brick building that today is called Lisowen.

In the 70’s, under Principals Bill Finlay and Ronnie MacPherson, the school moved forward but with numbers of less than 200 and a staff of 13 the threat of closure became apparent.

However, new housing in the village and the closure of neighbouring secondary schools and suddenly Saintfield High School was reborn.  This growth continued throughout the next 30 years and today there are over 365 pupils and 25 staff. The school has also had a renovated canteen, a new build Technology Block and more recently a complete refurbishment programme was undertaken together with a new 3 floor extension called Ravara Building.

In 2008 the school celebrated its 50th anniversary. An open morning was held when past pupils were invited to return and see the School.  A celebration Ball was also held when staff past and present enjoyed the evening.

May 2011 the SEELB invested a further £500,000 in an upgrade of the schools playing field and a brand new sports pavilion.

Earlier on this year the school had an inspection and the report was very good.  In the last three years the examination league tables have shown Saintfield High School to be among the top rated controlled secondary schools in Northern Ireland.